TAMPA, Fla. – The sixth ranked University of Tampa women’s lacrosse team opened up their 2020 season at home against the University of Alabama in Huntsville. UT used a balanced attack to claim the opener by a final score of 22-11. Carly Vaccaro earned a spot in the UT record book as she scored a program-high seven goals in the victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 6 Tampa Spartans 22, Alabama-Huntsville 11
Records: Tampa (1-0), Alabama-Huntsville (0-2)
Location: Naimoli Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans lead the all-time series over the Chargers 4-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
How It Happened:
- Hannah Bush scored the first goal of the season as she scored on a free position shot 1:04 into the game.
- The Spartans were able to jump out to a 5-1 lead over the Chargers with 18:44 left in the half.
- The Chargers battled back and tie the game back up at five goals each with 13:28 remaining.
- UT would close the half out on a 7-0 run, as they headed to the half with a 12-5 lead.
- Tampa continued their run in the second half as they quickly scored three goals to take a 15-5 lead over Alabama-Huntsville.
- UAH was able to get the score under 10 goals and pulled within eight goals of UT with 15:12 left in the game.
- The Spartans were able to put away the Chargers as they would score five of the final seven goals of the game to win the game 22-11.
Inside the Stats:
- Carly Vaccaro led the way for Tampa, racking up 10 points, scoring seven goals on seven shots and adding three assists.
- Hannah Bush also recorded a hat trick as she scored four goals and added five assists in the win.
- Claire Swanson, LIzzie Pierpont, and Maggie Gladden each added three goals apiece.
- Bridget Sutter earned the victory between the pipes collecting 13 saves in the game.
Beyond the Box:
- Vaccaro’s seven goals are a program record, as she also held the previous best with six goals.
- The 10 points scored by Vaccaro are tied with Rachel Crawford for the most in program history.
- With the win, the Spartans move to 4-0 all-time against Alabama-Huntsville.
The Spartans will be on the road on Thursday, February 20th, as they travel to Newberry South Carolina to take on the Newbery University Wolves. The game is set to begin at 4:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.