TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 10 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the University of Alabama – Huntsville Chargers by a final score of 15-5.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 10 Tampa Spartans 15, UAH Chargers 5
Records: Tampa (6-2), Alabama – Huntsville (8-1)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series with the Chargers 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Carly Vaccaro scored the first goal of the game off the assist by senior Megan Sengelmann.
- With 18:43 on the clock, UT netted another one, this time by Caroline Forester off the assist by Kristyn Staley.
- Alabama-Huntsville answered with two goals to tie the game.
- Tampa then scored five goals giving them the 7-2 lead.
- The first three of the five were scored by Staley, Claire Swanson, and Vaccaro respectively.
- The fourth was by sophomore Lauren McNeill off the assist by Staley, followed by a goal by Staley herself.
- Finally, UAH netted another one with 2:00 left in the half.
- The final goal of the half was scored by Tampa’s Caroline Forester.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Chargers 8-3.
- To start the second half, the Chargers were the first team to score narrowing the Spartans lead 8-4.
- Three minutes later, Vaccaro scored for the Spartans off the pass by Rachel Crawford.
- Sophomore Kayla Kosubinsky then netted the Spartans 10thgoal off the free position attempt.
- Vaccaro then scored again for UT, her four fourth of the contest, this time the assist came from Maggie Gladden.
- Alabama-Huntsville then narrowed Tampa’s lead to 11-5 with a Chargers goal.
- With 15:15 left in the game, Forester earned a hat trick with her third goal off the pass by LIzzie Pierpont.
- Kosubinsky then netted her second goal of the game increasing Tampa’s lead 13-5.
- Similar to Forester, Staley sunk her third goal of the game with 9:51 remaining.
- At the 5:35 mark, Claire Swanson scored her second goal of the contest initiating the running clock. The assist was by Staley.
- The No. 10 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the University of Alabama-Huntsville Chargers by a final score of 15-5.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Carly Vaccaro led the Spartans in goals with four.
- Kristyn Staley led the team in assists with three, in addition to stating three goals.
- Caroline Forester also had three goals in the contest.
- Claire Swanson had a team-high of three caused turnovers. The junior also recorded two goals, four ground balls, and seven draw control wins.
- Abby Coccagna had four ground balls for UT.
- Bridget Sutter recorded 14 saves and seven ground balls for the Spartans.
The Spartans will host SSC rival, Florida Southern in their first conference game of the season on Wednesday, March 27that 7:30 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.