TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Westminster College Griffins by a final score of 17-11. The University of Tampa is now 4-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa Spartans 17, Westminster Griffins 11
Records: Tampa (4-4), Westminster (2-4)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex| Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series over the Griffins 3-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Griffins were the first team to score with 13:49 remaining in the first period.
- Tampa then scored three unanswered goals. Two of the three came from senior Andrew Kewoff the assist by Kansai Garey, the other from Colin White off the assist by Matt Vetter.
- Westminster scored again with 7:00 left in the third, narrowing the Spartans lead 3-2.
- The last goal of the first period was scored by Jake Mosher McGraw off the pass by Kew.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans led the Griffins 4-2.
- Mosher McGraw then netted two more goals to start the second period. Both goals came off the assist by Kew.
- The Griffins scored with 8:11 left in the half.
- Colin White then scored his second goal of the day off the assist by Kew with 6:48 left in the half.
- The Westminster Griffins then scored back-to-back goals narrowing Tampa’s lead to 7-5.
- The last goal of the half was scored by Tampa’s Mosher McGraw, his fourth goal of the contest.
- Heading into halftime, UT led WC 8-5.
- To start the second half, Westminster netted a goal.
- Kew responded off the assist by Bryan Wright.
- Westminster scored one more goal in the period before Tampa earned three straight goals.
- Tampa’s 10thgoal of the contest came from White off the assist by Wright with 4:44 left in the quarter.
- Then 14 seconds later, Dylan Carter netted his first goal of the season off the assist from White.
- The last goal was an unassisted goal from Kew, his fourth of the contest.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Griffins 12-7.
- Westminster netted a man UP goal to start the fourth period.
- Four seconds later, Kew scored again, this time off the pass by faceoff specialist Ross Dickerson.
- The Griffins scored their ninth goal of the game with 10:22 remaining. Tampa still held the lead with 13.
- Kewthen tallied his sixth goal of the contest off the pass by Kansai Garey with 8:28 on the clock.
- Less than two minutes later, Kew assisted White for the Spartan’s 15thgoal.
- WC scored with 6:44 remaining.
- Garey then sunk a shot off the assist by Chris Cox.
- Kew scored the Spartan’s final goal of the game with 2:11 remaining. His goal came off the pass by Max Lambert.
- With :37 left on the clock, the Griffins scored the final goal of the game.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Westminster College Griffins by a final score of 17-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew has an OUTSTANDING performance for the Spartans earning a whopping seven goals and five assists.
- Following Kew‘s offensive efforts was that of Colin White who recorded four goals and one assist, and Jake Mosher McGraw, who also stated four goals.
- Dylan Carter scored the first goal of his Spartan career.
- Ross Dickerson earned his second assist of the 2019 season, in addition to leading all Spartans in faceoff wins and groundballs, 19-25 and 13 respectively.
- Sam Collingwood led the Spartans defensively. The sophomore out of Gainesville, Va. stated three caused turnovers and four ground balls.
- Bryan Karn suited up as the team’s goalkeeper. Karn logged nine saves on 20 shots.
The Spartans take on the Colorado Mesa Mavericks in Tampa, on Wednesday, March 20 for an 8:00 p.m. start.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.