TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 19 University of Tampa Spartans bounce back to defeat the North Greenville University Crusaders in overtime by a final score of 15-14. The University of Tampa is now 3-3 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 19 Tampa Spartans 15, North Greenville Crusaders 14
Records: Tampa (3-3), North Greenville (2-5)
Location: Naimoli Family Athletic and Intramural Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series against the Crusaders 2-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The NGU Crusaders scored the first two goals of the game, giving them the 2-0 lead.
- The Spartans answered with back-to-back goals of their own. The first came from freshman Harry Kilkowki, the second from senior Matt Vetter.
- North Greenville then netted another goal with 7:05 left in the period.
- The final goal of the first quarter was scored by UT’s Colin White.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans and the Crusaders were tied at 3.
- To start the second period, Colin White netted another goal, this time off the assist by Kilkowski.
- The Crusaders fought to regain the lead scoring three in a row.
- With 3:53 remaining in the half Matt Vetter netted his second goal of the game.
- NGU scored to hold a 7-5 lead.
- The final goal of the half was scored by Tampa’s JakeMosher McGraw off the assist by Vetter.
- Heading into halftime, the Crusaders led the Spartans 7-6.
- Dom Mazza tied the game at 7 to start the third period off the pass by Mosher McGraw.
- UT then netted two more goals to take the lead 9-7. The first goal scored came from Jake Levine off the assist by Chris Cox. The second was an unassisted goal from Vetter, his third of the contest.
- North Greenville tied the game at 9 with back-to-back goals.
- The last goal of the third period was awarded to Vetter, giving Tampa the 10-9 lead.
- The first goal of the fourth period came from the Crusaders.
- Mosher McGraw then netted another goal for the Spartans off the pass by Mazza.
- NGU then took the one-point lead, 12-11, with back-to-back goals.
- Colin White then netted two for the Spartans, both came off the assist by Max Lambert.
- NGU scored two more to gain the 14-13 lead with 2:16 remaining in the contest.
- With 1:02 left in the game, Mosher McGraw buried a goal for the Spartans, sending the game to OT.
- The Spartans were awarded the first possession of the faceoff taken by Ross Dickerson.
- Jake Mosher McGraw then scored his third goal of the day off the assist by Vetter.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the North Greenville University Crusaders by a final score of 15-14.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Colin White tallied a whopping five goals for the Spartans on offense.
- Matt Vetter stated an outstanding four goals and three assists, followed by Jake Mosher McGraw who earned three goals and one assist.
- Ross Dickerson won 23-32 face-offs form the X.
- B.J. Borowski recorded a win, earning eight saves in the contest from 20 shots.
The Spartans will travel to St. Louis, Missouri where they will take on the Lindenwood Lions on Saturday, March 9that 1:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.