via press release – photo via UT web site
TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 4 University of Tampa Spartans stayed strong against the Queens University Royals, winning 14-9.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 14 , Queens (N.C.) 9
Records: Tampa (2-0), Queens (0-1)
Location: Naimoli Field, Tampa Fla.
All-time Series: This is the third match-up between the two, with Tampa leading the series 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Andrew Kew fired the first goal for the Spartans taking the lead early.
- Conor Whipple with back to back goals, one solo goal and one assisted goal from Bryan Wright, extending the lead for the Spartans 3-0 with 5:15 on the clock.
- The Royals answered back 16 seconds later, decreasing the deficit by two goals.
- The Royals offense scored to start the second period, making it 4-2.
- Kew scored his second goal of the game with 12:19 on the clock.
- Three minutes later Kew was assisted by Whipple, leading the Royals 5-2.
- Kew picked up another goal with an assist from Chris Vetter with 8:11 on the clock.
- At 5:56, the Royals got on the board against with a goal from, Spartans still have a three-goal lead.
- Queens decreased the deficit to 6-4 at 2:58.
- Kew was forced to score his fifth goal of the game with 1:36 on the clock.
- Sam Watts sparked the offense in the third period with his sixth successful face-off of the game.
- Despite a strong defense from Tampa, Queens scored two goals, diminishing the deficit to one goal.
- Kew scored the first goal of the period for his sixth of the game.
- Whipple brought another goal at 9:04, his third of the game. Increasing the lead by three, 9-6.
- Royals answered back twenty seconds later, Tampa still leading 9-7.
- 3:48 on the clock Tampa tacked on a goal from Vetter, his first of the game.
- The Royals struck with 1:23 left in the period, Tampa leading 10-8.
- Tampa got on the board early at 13:57 with a goal from Jake Mosher McGraw, leading 11-8.
- The Vetter brothers, Matt and Chris teamed up to score the twelfth goal of the game for Tampa. Matt earning the goal and Chris the assist.
- Whipple with an assist from Wright grabbed the thirteenth goal of the game, now leading 13-8.
- At 3:05 Whipple struck again, unassisted this time for his fifth of the game.
- Queens responded with a goal at 2:25 to make the score 14-9, Tampa.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Senior All-American, Whipple racked up five goals and three assists.
- Kew tallied six goals, including five in the first half.
- Watts was successful for 13 of 20 face-offs.
- The Vetter brothers teamed up for the first time to score for the Spartans.
- Senior A.J. Arnold got the win in goal, finishing with seven saves while facing 15 shots.
- Defender Luke Posner led the way for the Spartan unit that forced 19 turnovers.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Head Coach Rory Whipple is approaching another career milestone as he now sits at 298 career wins. The all-time winningest coach in NCAA Division II history is in his sixth season at UT and now has 70 wins as a Spartan.
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, February 18th at Lindenwood for a 1:00pm start. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.