Author’s Note: As we hit our stride with the summer club circuit I am looking forward to the Prospects Lacrosse event in Vero on Wednesday and Thursday for a couple of reasons.
We didn’t get closure for the high schools, players, coaches and parents this year and this event, while not ‘official’, at least gives the 2020 kids playing one last go around, and for many of them, it will be their last game played. The Boys are playing this week and the Girls will have their own event later in Palm Coast.
And this event will be livestreamed for the championship games, in all 3 divisions of 1A, 2A and another grouping for ‘schools’ that prefer to be grouped by strength of program with like-level teams.
Here’s the last poll FLN did before the season was cancelled:
Prospects Lacrosse 2020 FLN Polls For 3/8/20: Ponte Vedra #1 in Class 2A, SA #1 in Class 1A!
Sorry everyone, but you KNOW I had to keep it real with my 70’s musically tastes . . .
Prospects Lacrosse Inc. Class 2A Top 15 for the week ending 2/29/20
1) Ponte Vedra – back home this week, hope they got to have crab cakes at least once
2) Jupiter – right now the only team I’ve seen in Class 2A that can make it interesting for them
3) Creekside – Thursday at Maclay should be fun
4) St. Thomas Aquinas – fell to a resurgent LHP team on the road by one
5) Lake Mary – took care of then #6 Lake Brantley
6) HB Plant – big Cardinal Mooney win and plenty of good games left
7) Lake Brantley – not a bad loss, but needs to win these peer games
8) Newsome – treading water until the schedule kicks in
9) Gulf Coast – playing well but next year they need to kick it up in scheduling
10t) Winter Park – Bishop Moore loss looking better and better
10t) West Orange – next week’s schedule doesn’t offer much help
12) Riverview-Sarasota – I know, this is looking a lot like last week . . .
13) Boca Raton – nice Belen Jesuit win keeps them ranked
14) Fleming Island – Maclay loss was a little ugly, is the defense a problem after giving up 25 goals?
15t) Alonso – time to give them a nod, now take it from there!
15t) West Florida – 8-0 start but with their schedule they can’t afford a loss
Also Considered: Western, Columbus, Oviedo, Windermere, Viera, Steinbrenner, Stoneman Douglas, Hagerty, Wellington and Martin County
The Prospects Lacrosse 2020 FLN Preseason Class 1A Poll
1) Saint Andrew’s – now comes different challenges
2) King’s Academy – one goal shy of running the Top 5 gauntlet, very impressive against Oxbridge
3) Benjamin – biggest jump of the week after handling AH-Plantation and St. Edward’s
4) Bishop Moore – very impressive 2nd half shutout of Berkeley Prep
5) American Heritage-Plantation – plenty of time AND opponents to climb back up
6) Lake Highland Prep – big win over STA, it’s been a while since I could say that, primed for upward advancement with SIX Top 10 teams still to play!
7) Maclay – big Fleming Island win gets them some movement. Creekside next week and last game versus Ponte Vedra are the only good games left.
8) Oxbridge – Pine Crest win and two tough losses
This is where it gets tough, no one is winning the games against the teams above them or the schedule isn’t there yet
9) Calvary Christian – still undefeated and a couple of solid wins already, still plenty of work to do, such as Tuesday’s road trip to my Hobart buddy
10) Melbourne Central Catholic – on hold for another week
11) Oak Hall – can’t penalize then for a one goal road loss to Creekside, should run the table until the final game test
12) Pine Crest – big test Tuesday . . . why the 4:30 start?
13) Berkeley Prep – 24 minutes away from a big jump but BM just handled them
14) St. Edward’s – another school that needs a big win. So many close calls over the last few years.
15t) Cardinal Mooney – can they get healthy in time for a run?
15t) Tampa Jesuit – hanging in, also needs a big win
16) All Saints Academy – As long as you stay undefeated I’ll acknowledge it
Also Considered: Montverde Academy, Belen Jesuit, Canterbury, Gulliver Prep, St. Stephens Episcopal
Have a great week at the games!
#TAFTAG – Take A Friend To A Game