via the school’s press releases
Tare and Daleo Lead No. 5 Women’s Lacrosse to 20-5 Victory over the Sailfish
LAKELAND, Fla. – The No. 5 Florida Southern College women’s lacrosse team took on Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday afternoon. The Mocs used a pair of 7-0 runs in the first half en route to a 20-5 victory over the Sailfish. The Mocs are 4-0 on the season, 3-0 in the Sunshine State Conference, while PBA drops to 1-2 overall, and 1-2 in the SSC.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the first time this season the Mocs struck first as DeKorte put the home team up 1-0 on a free position attempt. PBA’s Kiki Cinotti would tie the game at 1-1 nearly 30 seconds later as she capitalized on her free position attempt.
- However, from that point forward it was all Florida Southern as they would go on a 7-0 run with goals from Jozokos, Maliah Benedetto, Sarah Grady (2), Daleo (2), and DeKorte to make it an 8-1 game.
- The Sailfish would get one back for their second of the first half. Then the Mocs would go one another 7-0 run that to close out the first half. During this stretch in the first half the Tare would tally two of her four goals.
- Southern would take a 15-2 lead in to the halftime break.
- The Mocs would pick up right where they left off in the first half as they extend their 7-0 run to an 11-0 run that saw goals from Jozokos, Lizzy Lynch, Sam O’Neill and a Tare.
- PBA would put together a 3-1 run over the final 13 minutes of the game but it was not enough.
- Freshman attack Elise Alders would collect her first collegiate point as she assisted on Tare’s fourth goal of the day.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern outshot Palm Beach Atlantic, 36-13.
- PBA turned the ball over 16 times as FSC had 7. The Mocs had 11 groundballs, to six by the Sailfish.
- Both teams were assessed a yellow card in the first half as each team would capitalize on the oppositions penalty.
- Florida Southern leads the SSC in goals scored, averaging 16.75.
The Mocs will continue its three game home stand, as they welcome in Rollins on Friday, April 9, and Lynn on Wednesday, April 14.
Women’s Lacrosse Struggles at No. 5 FSC
LAKELAND, Fla. – The Palm Beach Atlantic women’s lacrosse team followed up its first conference win in program history with a tough test against No. 5 Florida Southern.
The Sailfish struggled to contain the offensive onslaught of the Mocs. FSC (4-0, 3-0 SSC) got ahead early and stayed ahead, cruising to a 20-5 lead. The Mocs secured 22 out of 27 draw controls against PBA in the game. FSC outshot the ‘Fish 36-13 and forced 16 PBA (1-2, 1-2 SSC) turnovers.
After FSC notched the first goal of the game, PBA answered with a free position goal by Kiki Cinotti to tie the game at one. It was a nice moment for the ‘Fish, but FSC went on to pull away with a 7-0 run. Anna Laskaris stopped the Mocs run with a free position goal of her own, but that was the last goal of the half for the Sailfish who went into halftime trailing 15-2.
Kate Leblanc found the back of the net for PBA with 12 minutes left in the contest to make it 19-3. Towards the tail end of the contest, Chelsea Smith ended the game on a high note with back-to-back goals, the last two goals of the contest. Time ran out for the Sailfish who came away with a 20-5 loss to the Mocs.
The Sailfish return home to face Saint Leo next Saturday. The game at the Rinker Athletic Campus takes place at 4 p.m.