Rachel Crawford Earns 100th Career Point in Spartans 17-4 Win Over the Sailfish
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – The No. 16 University of Tampa women’s lacrosse team defeated the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish by a final score of 17-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 16 Tampa Spartans 17, Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 4
Records: Tampa (10-5, 2-2 SSC), Palm Beach Atlantic (1-13, 0-5 SSC)
Location: PBA Lacrosse Field | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans are now 1-0 in the all-time series with the Sailfish.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team on the board with a goal from senior Natalie Carraway, the assist from Rachel Crawford.
- Thirty seconds later, sophomore Claire Swanson netted her first goal of the day, the assist from Carraway.
- With 25:38 remaining in the half, Crawford had an unassisted goal to give Tampa the 3-0 lead.
- Less than a minute later, sophomore Maggie Gladden wanted a piece of the action, earning her first goal of the day.
- Then with 22:44 on the clock, Megan Sengelmann, and Graeme Eber connected on a goal. Eber’s 12th goal of the season.
- Twenty-two seconds later, Tampa continued to dominate the field with a goal from Carly Vaccaro, assisted by Crawford.
- Eber then gave UT the 7-0 lead off a free position goal with 20:37 remaining in the half.
- Less than a minute later Crawford netted her second goal of the game, 15th of the season.
- Crawford continued to head the Spartan’s offense, with an assist to Caroline Forester, giving the Spartans the 9-0 lead.
- Finally, to set the running clock in motion, Sengelmann earned a goal for UT off the assist from Carraway.
- With 10:04 remaining in the half, Forester scored again for the Spartans, assisted once again by Crawford.
- Senior Shannon Sweeney then logged a goal off the assist from Forester, the Spartans lead 12-0 with 3:15 left in the half.
- The final goal of the half was scored by PBA with :11 on the clock.
- Heading into halftime, UT lead PBA 12-1.
- Coming out of the half, Gladden scored the first goal for Tampa off the assist from Carraway. Due to Tampa’s 13-1 lead the clock continued to run.
- With 18:52 remaining in the second half, Crawford netted her third goal of the game. This goal marked 7 points in the contest, thus giving the junior out of Arnold, Maryland her 100thcareer point as a Spartan.
- Forester then recorded a goal giving Tampa the 15-1 lead with 14:58 on the clock.
- With 11:16 left in the contest, PBA scored their second goal of the game.
- About two minutes later, the Sailfish scored again, now trailing by 12.
- With 6:45 on the clock the PBA netted their third unanswered goal, now trailing by 11.
- Finally, Vaccaro answered with a goal for the Spartans, her second of the evening. The assist came from Allie Popelar with 3:21 left in the game.
- The final goal of the game was scored by sophomore Swanson, her second of the evening.
- The Spartans defeated the Sailfish by a final score of 17-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Crawford and Forester led the Spartans in goals with three each. However, Crawford led the team in points with 7 because she also had three assists.
- Swanson, Gladden, Eber, and Vaccaro each had two goals for UT, while Carraway and Sengelmann each logged one.
- Forester led Tampa in caused turnovers and ground balls with two and six respectively.
- Swanson stated seven draw control wins for the Spartans
- In the cage, Tampa used Bridget Sutter, Taylor Sisk and Mackenzie Hackett. Sutter logged three saves and Hackett earned one.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Rachel Crawford earned her 100th career point as a Spartan.
- This marked the first time in history that the Spartans defeated the Sailfish in women’s lacrosse. UT now leads the all-time series over PBA 1-0.
Tampa will travel to St. Leo, Florida where they will face the Lions on Wednesday, April 18th at 7:30 p.m. The Spartans will then return home on Saturday, April 21st for their final regular season home game of the 2018 season.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
via PBA press release
Sailfish Drop Home Finale
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Palm Beach Atlantic women’s lacrosse dropped their home finale on Saturday, falling to Tampa 17-4.
Tampa scored the first 12 goals and led 12-1 after the first half. Dom Barber scored the lone goal for the ‘Fish in the first half, her 23rd of the season off a feed from Morgan LeBlanc. LeBlanc added another assist in the second half while Barber added one as well.
Grace Bartlinski scored back-to-back goals to give her 36 on the season. Julia Del Carmen added her 13th later in the second half as the ‘Fish played Tampa close in the second half. The two teams each scored three goals in the half when Del Carmen scored but Tampa close the half with two goals to take a 5-3 advantage in the half.
The Sailfish will close out their inaugural season next Saturday, April 21 at Florida Southern at 2 p.m.