Spartans Defeat Conference Rival, Florida Southern, 17-11
LAKELAND, Fla. – The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 17-11. The University of Tampa is now 9-4 on the 2019 season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: UT Spartans 17, FSC Moccasins 11
Records: Tampa (9-4, SSC 3-0), FSC (7-5, SSC 2-1)
Location: Barnett Athletic Complex | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the Moccasins in the all-time series 12-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa scored the first three goals of the game giving the Spartans a 3-0 lead. The goals were all unassisted and were scored by Matt Vetter, Jake Mosher McGraw, and Andrew Kew respectively.
- Florida Southern answered with two goals back-to-back.
- Mosher McGraw then netted his second goal off the assist by Vetter.
- The Spartans last goal of the first period was scored by Kew with 1:37 left on the clock.
- FSC netted one more goal before the end of the period.
- Heading into the second, the Spartans led the Moccasins 5-3.
- Florida Southern scored the first goal of the second period.
- Kew then sunk his third and fourth goal of the contest from Chris Cox and Bryan Wright respectively.
- With 7:54 left in the half, Kew scored a man-up goal off the pass from Wright.
- Fourteen seconds later, UT’s Dylan Carter scored off the assist by Harry Kilkowski.
- The Moccasins scored with 7:19 left in the half to cut the Spartans lead to 9-5.
- UT scored the last three goals of the half from Luke Curran, Kansai Garey, and Colin White respectively.
- Heading into halftime, the Spartans led the Moccasins 12-5.
- FSC netted the first goal of the second half.
- UT answered with a goal from White with the assist by Kew.
- Southern scored three more goals in this period.
- Tampa’s last goal of the third came from White again, this time the assist by Cox.
- At the end of the third period, the Spartans led the Moccasins 14-9.
- A minute into the fourth period, Bryan Wright scored Tampa’s 15thgoal of the contest.
- Florida Southern answered with two.
- The last two goals of the contest were scored by the Spartans. They came from Wright and Garey.
- The University of Tampa Spartans defeated the Florida Southern College Moccasins by a final score of 17-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Andrew Kew led the Spartans offense with a whopping five goals and one assist. Additionally, he picked up one ground ball for the Spartans.
- Following Kew’s efforts was that of Bryan Wright who ended the night with two goals and two assists, and Colin White who earned three goals.
- Defensively, Ronnie Shul and Luke Robideaux led the Spartans each with two caused turnovers. Shul recorded three ground balls, while Robideaux picked up two.
- Ross Dickerson won 24-30 face-offs for UT. Additionally, he recorded 13 groundballs for Tampa.
- B.J. Borowski played the first 45 minutes for the Spartans. The sophomore recorded 3 saves in the contest before Anthoney Caruso came in for the final period. Caruso recorded four saves.
Saturday, the Spartans will travel to St. Leo, Florida to take on the Saint Leo Lions. The game is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m. at the University Turf Stadium.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
Moccasins Drop First SSC Contest of 2019
LAKELAND, FL – Florida Southern College men’s lacrosse dropped its first conference game of 2019 with a 17-11 loss to Tampa at Moccasin Field on Wednesday night. The Mocs (7-5, 2-1 SSC) saw the Spartans (9-4, 3-0 SSC) jump out to an early 3-0 lead in the first quarter.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tampa’s Matt Vetter notched the games first goal at the 14:36 mark of the first quarter. The Mocs thought they had tied the game at 1-1 on a shot from Silverstein only to realize it hit the post and Tampa scooped up the ground ball and raced down the field to take a 2-0 lead. Andrew Kew would put the Spartans up 3-0 with just under eight minutes remaining in the first quarter. Wallace pulled the Mocs within one goal as scored twice in a three-minute span. Jake Mosher McGraw and Kew put the visiting team back up by three late in the first quarter before Simpson closed out the first frame on a feed from Silverstein.
- Wallace put his third goal of the game past the Tampa goalie to open the scoring of the second quarter on a man-up chance to make it a one-goal game. Kew took control of the game as he rattled off three-straight goals to give the Spartans an 8-4 lead. Dylan Carter added another goal for Tampa to put them up by five. Silverstein answered the Spartans 4-0 run with his first goal of the night at the 7:40 mark of the second quarter. Tampa closed out the first half with a 3-0 run to take a 12-5 lead into the ten-minute break.
- Jeff Atlas cut the Spartan lead to six to opened the scoring of the second half. Florida Southern limited Tampa to just two goals in the third quarter while they cut the Spartan lead to five. The Mocs got goals from Atlas, Gutmann, Silverstein, and Simpson. Tampa took a 14-9 lead into the final quarter.
- Bryan Wright put the Spartans up 15-9 before goals from Silverstein and Simpson cut the lead to just four. Two goals in the final minute of the game gave the visiting Spartans a 17-11 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern dropped to 1-12 all-time against Tampa. Florida Southern’s lone victory over the Spartans came on 4/12/2012 in an 11-7 win at Tampa.
- Florida Southern picked up 23 groundballs to Tampa’s 37. The Mocs were 2-for-3 and UT was 1-for-6 on man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 13 of the Spartans 22 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made 11 saves on 28 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern hits the road for two-straight at Rollins (April 6) and Saint Leo (April 10).