Men’s Lacrosse Stifles Sailfish, Secures Program’s Best SSC Record
West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University’s men’s lacrosse team went on the road for the first time in nearly a month on Wednesday night, controlling Palm Beach Atlantic from start to finish in a 15-7 Sunshine State Conference victory. The Fighting Knights improve to 4-1 in league play on the year, clinching the program’s first-ever winning record in regular-season SSC competition.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 17, PBA 5
Records: Lynn (9-3, 4-1 SSC), PBA (6-8, 1-4 SSC)
Location: Rinker Athletic Campus | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 3-0
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Xander Cosenza and Jared Chaloux led the way offensively with a pair of hat tricks. Cosenza made it a game-high four-point day with an assist. All three of Chaloux’s shot attempts found the back of the net.
- Chase Stokes, Nick McCabe and Caleb Wells all logged a pair of scores.
- Crease-attackmen Conor Vaughan and Keegan Maxwell both buried a goal.
- Defensive middie Daniel Luette rounded out Lynn’s goal scorers as the sophomore tallied the first goal of his collegiate career.
- Ben Jackson, Dryden Brous and Mikey Urso each distributed an assist. It was the first career point for Jackson.
- Brous dominated at the X once again, winning 18-of-24 faceoffs with nine ground balls. Counterpart Dwayne Owens went 1-of-2 in the circle.
- Collin McClelland played the first three quarters in between the pipes, registering 12 saves. He improves to 9-3 on the season.
- Starting defenders Greg Morissette (6) and Evan P. Kalish (5) spearheaded the ground ball game with Luette adding four.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- With two games remaining in the regular season, Lynn has clinched a winning SSC record for the first time in program history.
- The Fighting Knights have now won six consecutive games, matching last season’s streak for the longest in program history.
- Lynn’s defense surrendered just two goals in the second half and they were both garbage-time scores in man-down situations.
- Brous improves his streak of 15+ faceoff wins to eight consecutive games, but has his seven-game streak of double-digit ground balls come to a halt.
- PBA is on a five-game losing skid.
Lynn heads to first-place Tampa this Saturday, April 13, for a huge league contest. First faceoff is slated for 8 p.m.
Sailfish Men’s Lacrosse Drops Home Contest To Lynn
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – After seizing an early lead, Palm Beach Atlantic men’s lacrosse couldn’t hold off Lynn on Wednesday night, falling 15-7 to the Fighting Knights.
Gunner Gebelein got things started quickly by taking the opening ground ball off a face off win by Landon Johnson and scoring just 14 seconds in to the game. Lynn responded by scoring the next five goals and ended the quarter with an 8-2 advantage. Blake Israelscored the first of his three goals in the quarter.
PBA was never able to get back into the game, pulling to within five at 10-5 on a goal from Zach Holmes late in the second. That was the score heading into halftime but Lynn scored five straight in the third to take a commanding lead. PBA added goals by Jordan Trowbridge and Zack Figura in the fourth quarter.
Gebelein led the team with six ground balls and two caused turnovers. Townsend Brown was credited with fice ground balls with Blake Israel and Jackson Millereach getting credit for three. Marcus Lantier made 10 saves in goal for PBA.
The Sailfish return to action on Saturday as they make the trip to Winter Park to take on Rollins at 1 p.m.