Spartans Send Off Seniors with a 27-5 Win Over the Sailfish
TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 8 University of Tampa Spartans celebrate their seniors with a 27-5 win against Palm Beach Atlantic.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 8 Tampa Spartans 27, Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 5
Records: Tampa (12-3, 4-1 SSC), Palm Beach Atlantic (4-11, 1-5 SSC)
Location: Naimoli Family Intramural and Athletic Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans now lead the all-time series against the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Matt Vetter gets the Spartans started with a goal less than two minutes into the game.
- Five seconds later, Noah Menendez wins the face-off and scores the second goal for Tampa.
- With 12:19 remaining in the period, Andrew Kew scores off the assist from Bryan Wright.
- Kew scores his second goal of the game with 1:13 left in the period.
- At the end of the first period, Tampa leads PBA 4-0.
- About 30 seconds into the period, Vetter assists Kew on his third goal of the game.
- With 11:42 remaining in the first half, PBA nets their first goal of the game.
- Chris Cox scores back-to-back-back goals off assists coming from Donavon Dempsey and Kew.
- Michael Lucchesi nets his first goal of the game with the assist by Kew.
- Unassisted, Kew tallies another goal to give the Spartans a 10-1 lead with 5:48 left in the half.
- With 1:41 remaining, Wright record his first goal of the game.
- At the half, the Spartans lead the Sailfish 11-1.
- Lucchesi starts the second half off for the Spartans with an unassisted goal.
- Less than a minute later, Vetter scores his second goal of the game off the assist from Wright.
- Wright decides he wants a goal of his own to increase the Spartan’s lead to 14-1.
- With 9:45 left in the period, James Pugliese records his first goal of the game.
- Kew scores off the assist from Austin Schepers.
- PBA adds a goal with 6:45 remaining in the period, UT leads PBA 16-2.
- Kew and Pugliese connect for Kew’s sixth goal to the game.
- Spencer Eysaman scores his first goal of the game, he was assisted by Cox.
- Luke Curran gets in on the action and nets his first goal of the day.
- Sean Halpin assists Sam Collingwood on his first goal as a Spartan.
- Going into the final period, the Spartans lead the Sailfish 20-2.
- To start the period, Dan Barrow is the second Spartan of the day to score a first career goal.
- The Sailfish add another goal with 10:17 remaining in the game.
- With 9:12 left in the game, Connor Scanlin nets his first goal of the game.
- PBA responds with a goal to make the score 22-4, Spartans still lead.
- Steven Veteri adds his first goal as a Spartan off the assist from Joe Bradley.
- The Sailfish keep fighting as they add another goal to the game.
- Veteri nets his second goal of the game, he was assisted by Barrow with 3:01 left in the game.
- Haplan records his first goal as a Spartan off the pass from Eysaman.
- Colin White scores back-back goals, his first goals as a Spartan, he was assisted by Veteri and Max Lambert.
- The Spartans defeat the Sailfish 27-5.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kew led the Spartans on offense with six goals and three assists. Followed by Cox who recorded three goals and one assist.
- Fifteen different Spartans scored against the Sailfish.
- Sam Collingwood, Dan Barrow, Steven Veteri, Sean Halpin, and Colin White each recorded their first career goals.
- Noah Menendez led in groundballs with nine followed by Alex Patton who had seven.
- Menendez also led the Spartans in face-off wins with 15-17.
- B.J. Borowski recorded 7 saves in the cage for the Spartans. Bryan Karn recorded 5 saves in goal. Anthony Caruso and Tim Ponsetti each recorded one save.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- UT ties the program record for second most goals ever scored in one game with 27. The last time the Spartans scored above 27 goals was in 2015 against Emmanuel when the team logged 28.
- The Spartans logged 16 assists against the Sailfish, marking the fourth most assists in one game in program history.
- Andrew Kew earned nine points in today’s contest, tying former Spartan Conor Whipple as the only player to earn 9 points in a single game twice.
The Spartans will host the No. 6 Saint Leo University Lions on Wednesday, April 18th at 8:00 p.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
Men’s Lax Drops SSC Contest With No. 8 Tampa
TAMPA, Fla. – Palm Beach Atlantic men’s lacrosse came up short on Saturday afternoon against No. 8 Tampa, falling to the Spartans 27-5.
The Sailfish fell behind early and never recovered as the Spartans scored the first five goals. Zack Figura got PBA on the board early in the second quarter as he scored off a feed from Jackson Miller but that was all PBA could muster in the first half as Tampa led 11-1 after the first 30 minutes.
It wasn’t until midway through the third when the ‘Fish scored again as Miller scored his team-leading 24th goal. Blake Israel, Colin Hayek and Jordan Trowbridge all scored for the ‘Fish in the fourth, the only quarter PBA score more than one goal.
Marcus Lantier made his second start in goal for PBA and made 11 saves in 52 minutes. He also led the team with four ground balls. The Sailfish had only 14 ground balls in the game while Tampa was credited with 50. The Spartans won 31 of the 36 faceoffs as well.
The Sailfish will close out their season at home on Saturday, April 21 as they host Rollins at 7 p.m.