SAINT LEO, Fla. – The No. 24 Saint Leo women’s lacrosse team clinched a perfect non-conference season in the form of a 20-4 win over Montevallo Sunday afternoon at University Turf Stadium. The Lions will enter Sunshine State Conference play undefeated with an 11-0 record.
After four minutes of play, Saint Leo held a 2-1 lead over Montevallo. The Lions offense then broke out a 12-goal run for a halftime score of 14-1. The Falcons netted three goals between a pair of three-goal runs by the Lions in the second half.
“It is great to head into conference play 11-0,” said head coach Caitlin Hansen. “This should give us some added confidence for our first match-up against Embry-Riddle on Saturday. We have been in several different game situations during non-conference play that has prepared us for the tough SSC slate.”
- Janee DeLuca tallied a game-high four goals and assist for a five-point performance.
- Sabrina Sanacore and Lexie Walstad each scored a hat-trick. Sanacore added an assist to her day for four points.
- Sarah Pierson earned a game-high 11 draw controls followed by Ashley Salvett with eight.
- Delaney Chrisco earned four caused turnovers, a game-high.
- Rebecca Halley, now 5-0 in the net, earned the win after 30 minutes of action recording a save. Emma Craftonfinished up the second half in which she earned three stops.
Beyond The Boxscore
- Leslie Ferguson continues to build onto the program’s all-time leading scoring record, now with 119 career goals.
- Kaylah Walstad’s 44 assists is just one shy from tying the all-time assist record. The program’s current record of 45 assists was set by Caroline Fraser (2014-2017).
- Saint Leo is 1-of-6 Division II teams to remain undefeated among the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) Top-20 list: No. 1 Le Moyne, No. 2 Adelphi, No. 5 Lindenwood, No. 6 Rollins, and No. 7 Regis (Colo.).
- Two Lions have scored in every game this season; Janee DeLuca and Leslie Ferguson.
- Under the direction of Hansen, the Lions 11-0 season start continues to break the program’s best season start.
The Saint Leo Lions are set to open competition in the Sunshine State Conference on Saturday, March 30 at 1 p.m. hosting the Embry-Riddle Eagles.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo women’s lacrosse, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.