ST. LEO, Fla. – The No. 6 Saint Leo University Lions defeated the No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans by a final score of 12-11 in overtime of the NCAA quarterfinals. This loss marks the end of the Spartans season, finishing the year with an overall record of 15-5. The Lions will advance to the NCAA semifinals which will take place Saturday, May 19th.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 7 Tampa Spartans 11, No. 6 Saint Leo Lions 12
Records: Tampa (15-5), Saint Leo (15-2)
Location: University Turf Stadium | St. Leo, Fla.
All-time Series: The Tampa Spartans lead the all-time series against the Saint Leo Lions 7-3.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The No. 6 ranked Lions were the first team on the board, giving them the 1-0 lead with 10:55 remaining in the first.
- The Spartans then answered at the 7:00 minute mark with an unassisted goal from Kansai Garey.
- At the end of the first period, the Spartans and the Lions were tied at 1.
- Starting the second period, the Lions were once again the first team to score, thus taking the lead 2-1.
- With 8:57 remaining in the half, SLU netted another goal, cushioning their lead 3-1.
- Andrew Kew then answered for the Spartans with an unassisted goal, his 49th of the season.
- Saint Leo scored their fourth goal of the contest with 3:36 remaining in the half.
- UT’s Hunter Van Horn then netted one for the Spartans to cut the Lions lead to one with 1:51 left in the half.
- At the end of the first half, the No. 6 Saint Leo University Lions lead the No. 7 University of Tampa Spartans 4-3.
- Coming out of halftime, the Lions were the first team to score with three goals in the first five minutes. These goals gave the Lions the 7-3 lead.
- However, the Spartans then answered with back-to-back goals. The first from Jake Mosher McGraw, and the second from Andrew Kew. The Lions continued to hold the lead 7-5.
- Bryan Wright then netted his first goal of the game with 6:59 remaining in the period.
- Less than 10 seconds later, Matt Vetter tied the game at 7 off the assist from Dylan Carter.
- The University of Tampa then got their first lead of the game with 3:25 remaining in the period. The goal was scored by Garey, the assist by Mosher McGraw.
- With 1:42 on the clock, the Lions tied the game back at 8.
- Then with :04 seconds remaining in the period, Saint Leo scored giving them the 9-8 lead at the end of the third period.
- Once again, to start the period, SLU was the first team to score giving them the 10-8 lead.
- The Lions then earned another goal cushioning their lead to three points.
- Vetter then netted a goal for the Spartans, his second of the day. SLU still leads UT 11-9.
- With 4:41 remaining in the contest, Wright scored for the Spartans, the assist by Mosher McGraw.
- Mosher McGraw then netted a goal for the Spartans to tie the game at 11. The assist came from Luke Curran.
- To end the fourth period, the Lions and Spartans were tied at 11, forcing the game to go into overtime.
- In the first six second of overtime, the No. 6 Lions scored, thus defeating the No. 7 Spartans by a final score of 12-11.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Five Spartans has two goals in the contest. These players included Andrew Kew, Bryan Wright, Matt Vetter, Jake Mosher McGraw and Kansai Garey.
- Mosher McGraw also led Tampa in assists with two.
- Dylan Carter led the Spartans defensively with two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Ross Dickerson won 21-26 faceoffs he took, in addition to leading the team in ground balls with 16.
- B.J. Borowski recorded eight saves in the contest.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Andrew Kew scored his 50th goal of the season.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.