Score: No. 3 Keiser 12, No. 5 Cumberlands 9
Records: No. 3 Keiser (1-0), No. 5 Cumberlands (1-1)
Location: Keiser Multi-Purpose Field, West Palm Beach, Fla.
No. 3 Keiser University started their 2021 campaign with a 12-9 victory against No. 5 Cumberlands on Sunday afternoon. The Seahawks made their return after being the final sporting event to occur in 2020 before the COVID-19 shutdown on March 12.
Keiser 5, Cumberlands 1
- John Senior started the season with an unassisted goal in the third minute.
- Hunter East doubled the advantage, scoring an unassisted goal with 8:15 remaining in the first quarter.
- Cumberlands got on the board for the first time at the 7:40 mark.
- The Seahawks ran off the final three goals of the quarter to lead to the Patriots, 5-1.
- Dylan Sharpe paced KU in the quarter with a goal and an assist.
Keiser 9, Cumberlands 3
- CU netted back-to-back goals to open the second quarter, trimming their deficit to 5-3 with 10:35 showing.
- An unassisted tally Weston Waerness snapped the drought for KU as the margin stood at 6-3 in favor of the home team with 5:12 to go until halftime.
- Keiser turned the jets on before halftime, scoring three goals in the final 2:07 of the half to lead, 9-3. Senior had two goals and Cole Stassi had the other.
Keiser 10, Cumberlands 7
- Cumberlands notched the first goal of the second half at the 13:25 mark.
- Three minutes later, Waerness tallied the lone goal of the period for the Seahawks.
- The Patriots collected the final three goals of the frame to trail, 10-7.
Keiser 12, Cumberlands 9
- Senior and Stassi found the back of the net with back-to-back goals, upping the advantage to 12-7 with 8:54 remaining in the contest.
- Cumberlands ran off the next two goals to make it a three-goal contest with 3:12 left in the season opener.
- The Seahawks saw the game off to remain unbeaten in home openers, winning 12-9 against No. 5 Cumberlands.
- 2: The all-time series now favors Keiser, 2-1.
- 4: The Seahawks improved to 4-1 in season openers.
- 5: Keiser is unbeaten in home openers, winning all five contests.
- 6: The Seahawks had six different scorers on the afternoon, led by four from Senior.
- 9/24: Cam Provines picked up a game-best nine ground ball and went 18-of-24 in the faceoff circle.
- 12: Keiser moved back to .500 against NAIA Top 10 teams.
- 15: Cole George made 15 saves in his Keiser debut.
Points: Senior (4)
Goals: Senior (4)
Assists: Waerness/Sharpe (1)
Faceoffs: Provines (18-24)
Ground Balls: Provines (9)
Caused Turnovers: Four Tied (1)
Saves: George (15)
Points: Vanover (4)
Goals: Vanover (3)
Assists: Smith (2)
Faceoffs: Jamison (7-23)
Ground Balls: Coleman (6)
Caused Turnovers: Three Tied (3)
Saves: Settle (13)
Keiser at No. 1 Reinhardt on Saturday, Feb. 14 at 1:00 p.m. on Ken White Field at University Stadium in Waleska, Ga.