Jacksonville University (0-0) vs. Navy (0-0)
DATE: Sunday, Feb. 4
SITE: D.B. Milne Field – Jacksonville, Fla.
LIVE STATS: Jacksonville
LIVE VIDEO: ESPN3 (Ray Carnicelli and Booker Corrigan)
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Jacksonville University men’s lacrosse opens its ninth season in program history Sunday, Feb. 4 when the Dolphins welcome Navy to D.B. Milne Field for a noon face off.
Sunday’s contest marks the second time the Dolphins have faced off with the Midshipmen, and the teams’ first meeting since 2012.
Nice to Know
- The Dolphins will be taking over the @ncaalax Instagram story all day on Sunday to give fans an inside look at game day. Follow NCAALax on Instagram here.
- Sunday’s game will be Military Appreciation Day at D.B. Milne Field.
- Youth players who wear their jersey at Sunday’s game against Navy or at the Feb. 20 matchup against Detroit-Mercy will receive a free ticket to the 2018 Moe’s Classic against Ohio State on Feb. 25.
Setting the Scene
- Dolphins enter their ninth season in program history and their second year under head coach John Galloway.
- The Dolphins finished the season 3-11 last year, with a 3-4 record against Southern Conference opponents.
- Jacksonville earned its first trip to the SoCon Tournament last season after winning three of its last four games to close out the regular season.
- The Dolphins named four team captains for the 2018 season. Ryan Beville and McLean Chicquen were also captains last season, while Chase McIntyre and Max Hartong will join the duo in leading the team.
- Ben Gleichenhaus finished the year second in the SoCon and ninth in the nation with 12.14 saves per game.
So Good SoCon
Seniors McLean Chicquen and Ryan Beville were named to the Preseason All-SoCon Team. A Second Team All-SoCon Team pick last year, Chicquen led the team with 38 points (23 goals, 12 assists) last season. A short-stick midfielder, Beville picked up 36 groundballs – third most on the team – and added five points.
Jacksonville was selected fourth in the Preseason SoCon Coaches’ Poll, behind last year’s SoCon Champion Air Force, Richmond, and Furman.
The Midshipmen finished the 2017 season 6-8 overall and 4-4 in the Patriot League. Returning three of its top four point scorers and its starting goalie from a year ago, Navy was selected third in the Patriot League Preseason Poll.
Series History vs. the Midshipmen
Jacksonville and Navy have met just once before, in the 2012 Moe’s Classic at the Jacksonville Jaguars’ EverBank Field. The Dolphins topped the Mids, 13-7.
The Dolphins head north to Durham, N.C. for a matchup at Duke on Feb. 10.