TAMPA, Fla. –The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans defeat the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs Mountain Lions by a final score of 16-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 11 Tampa Spartans 16, Colorado-Colorado Springs Mountain Lions 4
Records: Tampa (4-2), Colorado-Colorado Springs (1-3)
Location: Mountain Lion Stadium | Colorado Springs, Colo.
All-time Series: The Spartans now lead the all-time series with the Mountain Lions 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first two goals of the game were scored by the University of Tampa.
- The first two of the contest were scored by Tampa’s Kristyn Staley.
- Carly Vaccaro then netted her first of the day off a free position shot, which was followed by Kayla Kosubinskysinking one with 21:16 still remaining in the half.
- With 20:36 left in the half, the Mountain Lions scored their first goal of the contest.
- The Spartans retaliated with three more goals giving them the 7-1 lead. The first came from senior Rachel Crawford. Staley then earned her second of the day followed by Caroline Forester with her first.
- Colorado – Colorado Springs then earned their second goal with 8:09 left in the half.
- To end the first half, UT scored the next five goals, giving them the 10-point lead and thus initiating the running clock.
- The last five goals of the half were scored byVaccaro from Maggie Gladden, Kosubinsky, Lauren McNeill, LIzzie Pierpont, and Claire Swanson respectively.
- Heading into halftime the Spartans led the Mountain Lions 12-2.
- Coming out of the half, the Spartans picked up right where they left off, with back-to-back goals from Forester and McNeill. Forester‘s goal was off the assist by Hannah Bush, while McNeill‘s was off the assist by Kosubinsky.
- UCCS then answered with two goals. These were their final two points of the game.
- To end the game, Kosubinsky netted one more off the free position attempt, followed by the final goal of the contest from Gladden.
- The No. 11 University of Tampa Spartans defeated the University of Colorado – Colorado Springs by a final score of 16-4.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Kayla Kosubinsky led all Spartans on offense with three goals and one assist. Following her efforts was that of Kristyn Staley also with three goals.
- Lauren McNeill, Caroline Forester, and Carly Vaccaro all earned two goals in the contest.
- Claire Swanson led the Spartans in draws and caused turnovers with six and two.
- Both Bridget Sutter and Taylor Siskmanned the cage. They each recorded three saves on five shots.
The Spartans will return home to host the Seton Hill Griffins on Saturday at noon.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.