photo via Keiser web site
AVE MARIA, Fla. — The Ave Maria women’s lacrosse team sprinted out to a 10-2 halftime lead and cruised to a 14-4 win against visiting Keiser on Senior Day this evening. Prior to the game, AMU recognized their five graduating seniors.
The Lady Gyrenes came out firing and scored the games’ first five goals. After a Seahawks goal ended the streak, AMU came back with five more to make it 10-1. The Blue and Green would lead 10-2 at the half after a late Keiser goal.
Sarah Wade had three goals in the first half while Abby Castro, Katelyn Sherman, and Georgia Miller each had a pair of scores. Mackenzie Tourville netted the other goal for AMU.
Keiser scored the first goal of the second half before Castro, Stephanie Hilker, and Alexis Smich each found the back of the net for the Lady Gyrenes to make it 13-3. Hilker added a second goal with just over two minutes to play to put AMU in front by ten, 14-4.
The Lady Gyrenes held a 16-4 edge on draw controls and used that to hold possession for most of the game. AMU used that advantage to take a 27-10 shot on goal edge. AMU also had a 25-19 lead in ground balls and committed seven less turnovers.
Tourville led AMU with six draw controls while Miller and Hilker each had three. Castro, Miller and Sherman each had a team-best two caused turnovers.
Bianca Ballarin picked up the win in net, allowing three goals and making three saves on six shots faced. She played the first 46 minutes of the game before being relieved by Andie Wagner. Wagner made three saves and allowed one goal.
Ave Maria has 10 days off before their next game, a big conference matchup at top-ranked SCAD-Savannah on April 22.
Score: Keiser 4, Ave Maria 14
Records: Keiser (1-11), Ave Maria (7-5)
Location: Ave Maria, Fla.
- Alisa Spahic scored two goals on two shots to lead all Seahawks in scoring, while Frankie Parshall and Dakota Zdun recorded the final two goals for Keiser.
- Mickey Sherrill started in goal for Keiser, yielding nine goals and recording three saves.
- Mary Reich played the final 40:41, allowing just five goals and notching 10 saves in the process.
Ave Maria scored the first five goals of the game in the first 6:12 to take the early 5-0 advantage. Keiser would not be able to overcome the early deficit to the Gyrenes.
How it Happened
- The Gyrenes scored their first goal of the contest just 51 seconds into the game as Abby Castro buried her first of three goals to give Ave the 1-0 lead.
- After surrendering four more goals, Keiser jumped on board following Alisa Spahic‘s man-up goal with 23:11 left in the first half to cut the Gyrene’s lead down to 5-1.
- Ave Maria scored the next five goals of the contest to stretch its lead to 10-1 before Zdun recorded the final goal of the first half with under three minutes to play.
- Parshall notched the first goal of the second half to trim the Ave Maria lead down to 10-3.
- Spahic netted the final Keiser goal with 2:56 remaining, ending a 3-0 Gyrene run to trim the Ave Maria lead to single digits, 13-4.
- Stephanie Hilker of Ave Maria recorded the final goal of the contest with 2:01 left in the game, solidifying the 14-4 victory for the Gyrenes.
Points: Spahic (2)
Goals: Spahic (2)
Draw Controls: Four tied with…(1)
Ground Balls: Reich (4)
Caused Turnovers: Four tied with…(1)
Saves: Reich (10)
Points: Castro (5)
Goals: Castro/Wade (3)
Assists: Castro (2)
Draw Controls: Tourville (6)
Ground Balls: Sherman (4)
Caused Turnovers: Three tied with…(2)
Saves: Ballarin/Wagner (3)
Keiser will be back in action on April 21 when the Seahawks take on No. 5 Georgetown College in Georgetown, Ky., at 6 p.m.