via press release – photo via UT web site
TAMPA, Fla. – The University of Tampa women’s lacrosse defeated Concordia St.Paul University Golden Bears after a five goal deficit in the first half. The Spartans had 17 unanswered goals in the victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Tampa 20, Concordia St. Paul 7
Records: Tampa (5-5, SSC 0-1), Concordia St. Paul (6-5)
Location: Naimoli Field, Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: This is the first match-up, Tampa leads the series 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Golden Bears took an early lead against Tampa of 5-0.
- Tampa finally fought back at 12:08 with a goal from Carly Vaccaro assisted by Cali Edgar.
- Maggie Gladden comes through with an unassisted goal, now down by three goals.
- Maddison Ewing takes a free position attempt and converts it to a goal for Tampa.
- With 5:10 on the clock Allie Popelar with help from Gladden make the score within one goal.
- The tying goal comes from Ewing assisted by Rom.
- Tampa takes a 6-5 lead with Ewing, assisted by Edagr.
- The final goal of the half with 20 seconds left is an unassisted by Shannon Sweeney.
- Tampa’s goal streak continued to eight goals with a free position goal from Amanda Voges.
- Amanda Rom has her first goal of the game at 28:59 with an assist from Voges, Tampa leading 9-5.
- Forester continues the streak with an assist from Voges.
- Freshman Claire Swanson with her first of the game and another assist from Voges, Tampa leading 11-5.
- Caroline Forester strikes with 26:31 with an assist from Vaccaro
- Voges shoots her first goal of the game with help from Edgar, Tampa leading 13-5.
- A free position is converted to a goal by Rom.
- Abby Coccagna takes a man-up goal to start a running clock.
- Swanson with her second goal of the game with 20:37 left, assisted by Voges.
- Forester and Gladden team up to make it 17-5.
- The Golden Bears answer back with two goals at 13:15.
- Voges with her third goal of the game comes with 5:11 left, assisted by Gladden.
- Less than two minutes left, Ewing with an assist from Megan Sanchez give Tampa 12 goal lead.
- The final goal of the game comes from Tampa’s Mallary Weinsz with :30 left. Tampa wins the game by a score of 20-7
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Voges had a total of seven points with three goals and four assists, taking three draw controls.
- In her first game back returning from an injury, Ewing led the team in goals with four.
- Forester had three goals with two draw controls.
- Rom tallied three points with two goals and one assist, also one caused turnover.
- Gladden totaled four points with three assists and one goal.
- Swanson scored twice for Tampa with one caused turnover and one drawcontrol.
- Popelar led the team in draw controls with four, also scored a goal.
- Coccagna led the team in caused turnovers with three, also scoring a goal.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Junior Amanda Rom is approaching 100 career points with 95 so far. She will be the __ Spartan to reach this milestone.
Tampa returns to action on Friday, March 24h against Colorado Mesa. The match-up will start at 7:30pm at Naimoli Field in Tampa, Fla. Live stats will be available through TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.