via press release – photo via UF web site
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The University of Florida women’s lacrosse team (11-2, 5-0) is set to host the Villanova Wildcats (3-9, 1-4) on Wednesday, in the Gators’ penultimate regular season home game.
Florida and Villanova will be meeting for the fourth time, with the Gators holding a 3-0 advantage in the series. Last season, a five-point performance from Shayna Pirreca led Florida to a 14-4 victory at Villanova.
The opening draw is set for 1 P.M. from Donald R. Dizney Stadium. A live stream of the game will be available via YouTube, with Ryan Urquhart and Connor Buckridge on the call.
No. 3 Florida has been dominant in BIG EAST play, winning its first five contests by 58 goals. Attackers Lindsey Ronbeck and Mollie Stevens have each compiled 24 points to lead the Gator attack, while senior defender Caroline Fitzgerald has eight caused turnovers and nine ground balls. Sophomore goalkeeper Haley Hicklen has anchored Florida’s defense with 38 saves and a .603 save percentage in conference games.
Villanova has lost its last two BIG EAST games to Georgetown and Temple by a margin of just three goals. Freshman attacker Katie Comerford (27 goals, 12 assists) and senior defender Sam Scarfogliero (42 ground balls, 27 caused turnovers) lead the Wildcats.
First Half Dominance
In Florida’s first 13 games of the season, the Gators have almost tripled their opponents’ scoring in the first half, 124-44.
Head Coach Amanda O’Leary:
“Villanova will be a great test for our team. They (Villanova) are coming off two very close conference games and will be ready to play us. We’re really looking forward to playing another home game in front of our fans.”
- Wednesday’s game will be the fourth meeting between Florida and Villanova
- Florida leads: 3-0
- Home: 1-0 | Away: 1-0 | Neutral: 1-0
- Last Time Out: April 16, 2016 at Villanova | W, 14-4
- Senior Caroline Fitzgerald is just four ground balls away from passing Nora Barry (141) for the most all-time at Florida
- Sammi Burgess needs two assists to pass Ashley Bruns (31) for the most assists in a season at UF
- Senior defender Caroline Fitzgerald (78) is right behind current all-time leader and fellow senior Taylor Bresnahan (80) on the all-time caused turnover list
- The Gators have won 16 consecutive BIG EAST games dating back to the 2015 season
- #PirrecaPower: Pirreca sisters Shayna and Sydney have combined to score 28% (60/214) of Florida’s goals this season
- Florida owns a 75-11 (.872) record all-time at Donald R. Dizney Stadium
Admission is FREE to all regular season Florida lacrosse home games. A NetFLax Original: The first 100 UF students will receive a voucher for a free popcorn from the concessions stand, and five lucky fans will go home with a year-long subscription to Netflix! Fans can also participate in a halftime shoot to win competition for the chance to win an Apple TV!
The Gators will travel to Indianapolis, Ind. to challenge BIG EAST newcomer Butler (1-12, 0-5) for the first time on April 15.